Ozone – chemical formula : O3 - is one of the most powerful known oxidisers. The advantages of its utilization at the industrial scale include its high efficiency of oxidation and disinfection, the possibility of being produced right on site, the low impact on the environment and human health by removing reaction byproducts present when using certain classical technologies where chlorine is used extensively.
Advanced oxidation processes
The advanced oxidation processes - AOP - are oxidation processes that involve the action of highly reactive types of free radicals (most often –OH radicals), whose action leads to the almost complete degradation (until mineralisation) of certain organic chemical compounds resistant to the usual processes of oxidative degradation. In the past two decades, the advanced oxidation processes have been extensively studied and applied notably in the field of water de-pollution and treatment, of indoor air disinfection and decontamination, as well as in the medical field or in the one related to the advanced materials with ‘self-cleaning’ properties and bactericidal properties (with applications in medicine, constructions, the textile industry etc.).
The advanced oxidation processes are generated by the simultaneous synergic action of certain individual processes that involve the utilisation of ozone (O3), of the UV radiations, of peroxide (H2O2), of the electrochemical processes, of the ultrasonic fields (US) or of the Fenton-type processes. The process of decomposing the ozone dissolved in an aqueous environment may also be deemed to be a primary advanced oxidation process.
Technological applications of ozone
Drinking water treatment :
- the removal of Fe, Mn, As
- the degradation of the toxic organic compounds present in the drinkable water and in the recirculated water from the public swimming pools and the recreational premises
- the advanced disinfection of the drinkable water and of the recirculated water from swimming pools
- the treatment of the water from the fish farm tanks.
Waste water treatment :
- the disinfection of the water purged by ozone – in the tertiary stage, the disinfection of the waste waters coming from health facilities
- the oxidation of the potentially toxic organic compounds, with an aim to enhance the biodegradability degree
- the purification of the industrial waste waters, aiming for technological water recovery.
The food industry
- the removal of Fe, Mn, As, the disinfection of the manufacturing lines and of the bottling lines
- processes of disinfecting and conditioning the production and storing capacities in the wine, beer and refreshing drink industry.
- fresh fruit and vegetable processing
- the disinfection and the conditioning of the processing and production lines for animal origin products
- packing processes
Storing and conditioning
- the environmentally friendly disinfection of the storing surfaces and premises by using water dissolved ozone or gaseous ozone
- the disinfection of the transporting elements (platforms, containers, refrigerating premises)
- conditioning and disinfection processes in the controlled temperature and atmosphere storehouses (refrigerating warehouses, fruit and vegetable storing premises).
- the production of super-pure water, with applications in the analytical field, the health field and in industry
- the treatment of the cooling recirculated water from the energetic industry
- the medical field : the premises, surfaces and equipment disinfection, complementary medical treatments.